Environmental Sustainability Strategy Plan
In 2021 we launched our Environmental Sustainability Strategy Plan to reduce the school’s carbon footprint and help to tackle the climate emergency. This includes specific actions in eight key areas:
- Buildings & construction
- Community engagement
- Energy and carbon management
- Environmental education
- Food & catering
- Recycling and waste management
Please see below for a summary of our full Environmental Sustainability Strategy Plan, including the specific objectives which fall under each of these eight key areas.
Progress against our Plan to date includes:
- Installation of a 180 kWp solar energy scheme through the Solar for Schools programme, with rooftop solar panels fitted to Henry’s Diner, Main Hall, the staff room, the Science block and the Design and Technology block.
- Energy improvement works including LED lighting upgrades to Henry’s Diner and installation of radiators in place of the outdated, inefficient fan coil units.
- Re-introduction of reusable tableware and cutlery in Henry's Diner and The Quad to replace disposable containers and cutlery.
- Introduction of new recycling arrangements for plastics in Henry's Diner and The Quad.
- Installation of three additional water dispensers so that students never need to purchase bottled water.
- Development of a comprehensive Modeshift STARS School Travel Plan to encourage sustainable travel, and successful achievement of Bronze Award accreditation.
Our student-led Eco-mmittee plays a key role in driving the work of our student body to support sustainability. This includes working towards achieving the Eco School Award Green Flag Award.
We also have a thriving Gardening Club, whilst Year 11 ASDAN students have taken responsibility for a raised planter. Students from both groups are now growing produce for our Catering Team to use as part of the menu in Henry's Diner!
Support from Parents and Carers
We ask parents/carers to support our efforts to improve sustainability in the following ways:
- Avoid transporting your child to / from school by car, wherever possible.
- Ensure that your child brings a filled reusable water bottle to school each day.
- Encourage your child to support the recycling arrangements in Henry’s Diner, taking care to place items in the correct bin.
- Encourage your child to reduce their meat consumption, for example by supporting weekly ‘Meat Free Mondays’ in Henry’s Diner.
- Make use of our school uniform recycling bank. Contact our receptionist, Alison Kilmartin, if you have unwanted uniform / PE kit items to donate, or if you want to see what items are available for a small donation.